Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pet's Sematary

This Steven King classic scares the bageebees out of me every time I watch this horror film.  I was with one of my best friends and her boy friend in my upstairs TV room cozy with the lights off, not so cozy with the loud thunder and bright lightening coming through the windows, but still having a great night.

The beginning music always creeps me out too.  I listen to it with my eyes wide open watching the camera go through the pet's "sematary".

Did you know that Steven King, himself, is in all of the movies from the books he writes!?  In this particular horror film he is the priest at Gage's (the son) funeral.  He always plays a very small part: a pizza guy, hick, priest, etc.

The Creed family had just moved to the country side from Chicago where Louis, the father, has a job as a doctor there in Maine.  Their property is right on the side of a busy highway where the company, Orinco, had semi-trucks on a route.

One thing I have to say is that every time Ellie, the daughter, is frustrated or cries she sounds fake.  She isn't a very good actress, in my opinion.  When she runs to the couch and cries, she honestly sounds as if something painfully TERRIBLE is happening to her.

Jud Crandall has to be one of my favorite characters in this movie.  Honestly, he gets everything he deserves after he tells Louis where the Indian Burial ground is.  His death is pretty gruesome and bloody but it is funny that a "little tike", Gage, did all of it.  Jud's knowledge of the burial ground and love of beer reminds me of a typical grandfather from the country: overalls, tall, the voice, etc.

Every time I watch this movie I cry.  When Gage is hit by the truck, the second his shoe hits the ground I start to tear up.  Then I realize that he turns ultimately evil very soon.  His evil chuckle creeps me out.  I also tear up when you hear his cry when his father puts the needle in his neck to have him "go to sleep".

"Rachel!" -  ZELDA (Rachel's sister)  *shivers*  When she says this, I get goosebumps.  I have a friend named Rachel and I remember when we were at Cheer practice sometimes I would say that and creep the others out as well.  I think the director and actress did a good job with this character specifically.

Missy Dandridge was an interesting character, even though she was only in the movie for a few scenes.  She was troubled and needed help.  Funny thing is, she was the one helping the Creed family while they were moving in with laundry and such.  She even taught Ellie a few obscene things.  Of all the suicides she could do she did the one that would 1. leave a mark, 2. last almost the longest with the most pain.  If she had slit her wrists or electricuted herself, I think it would of been less painful and lengthy.  That, there, is the point though. I feel she WANTED the extra pain because the cancer she had would of only cause more pain then the "quick" way.  Her stomach pains she explained she had were from the cancer she had.

Poor, poor Pascow.  First he dies from being hit by a car when running, then dies in the hospital and miraculously wakes up and warns Louis about the Indian burial ground.  Pascow says the ground is sour and that the "soil of a man's heart is stonier".  If I were told what Pascow told Louis, I would stay FAR AWAY from that burial ground.

After Gage dies when hit by a semi-truck, Louis starts to go crazy.  You can tell every time something happens to him: his eyes go wide, face looks tired, and he talks strange.  When he digs up his son from the cemetery he holds him in his arm.  He holds his DEAD CORPSE.  Talk about gross.  Even if my son had died I would never dig him up to try and resurrect him.

This is a great movie, again, because almost everyone dies.  All of the main characters, besides Ellie, die.  This makes this film amazing because you sit there thinking, "He wouldn't bury his son.....oh he does..." and then you say, "He wouldn't bury his wife after all of that!...... oh....."  Ridiculous.

2 comments:

  1. This movie ruined a good 6 months at least, of my child hood. I perpetually had nightmares of my family killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel, Mary. I sometimes still have to cover my ears in the beginning with the music and when Gage comes back and laughs.

    ReplyDelete