Monday, May 23, 2011

8213: Gacy House

This 2010 serial killer horror film, even though seems like a B movie; had relatively good actors.  None of them were well-known in the movie world but MOST of them seemed to know how to act, unlike some well-known actors that do NOT (won't mention any names).  After I watched the movie I looked at reviews and boy did I feel dumb.  The movie wasn't a reenactment of real footage it was suppose to BE real footage.  Nope totally fake.

My brother and I were looking for a movie to watch on Netflix and he remembered this scary movie that he thought I would like.  I indeed did like the movie, a lot.

Gacy House has a "Blair Witch Project" feel.  The filming is all by hand and most of the time the only light is the light from the cameras they carry.  I watched the movie Cloverfield and thought the handheld camera was too much for my head to handle.  For this movie I thought the camera kept pretty steady for most of the part other then when the camera person ran up or down the stairs.

As I watched the movie, I looked up the background story about John Wayne Gacy Jr., the man who killed and raped 33 young men in the 70's.  I read terrible things that had happened when he was younger; his father beating him, a family member molesting him, and when he was 11 was hit in the head with a swing and didn't know he had a blood clot in his brain until he was 16 (his dad always thought he was lying).  Those tragic events led to his demonic ways.  From my research most of his victims had been his employees at his self-owned construction company.  Weird thing is, he was not only married once but twice!  And before his first marriage he had gone to a business college and went up from a management-trainee position to the vice-president of the Springfield chapter for Jaycees.  He had lived in Iowa for a while which is CRAZY to think about because I live in southern Minnesota.  He got off early from his 10-year sentence to prison for sodomy and soon was engaged and married another woman with two daughters.  The family moved into his home where in the basement, in a crawl space, he hid his victims' bodies.  EW!  Also one was under the floorboards in his dining room!  It is sad though to think that 8 of the young boys' bodies were unidentified.  I guess either the families didn't care or they didn't know.

On a better note, sort of, the scary parts of the movies were typical but sometimes drawn out.  They do a seance to communicate with John Gacy and all of a sudden BOOM!, something scary happens.  It was great.  I was pretty scared a few times; yelling at them to get out, curling up in a ball, and squealing a few times.

My favorite character was the man in charge of the paranormal investigation at Gacy's house, Mike Lewis.  His facial expressions and in-charge attitude made me laugh quite a bit.

One scene I felt not necessary was when two of the investigators "got it going" in Gacy's bedroom.  I thought the scene was not needed and quite awkward especially because they thought the camera in that room was broken, but instead, it started working when their shirts were off and things were becoming heated in the bedroom.  Who can get in the mood in a dead pedophile's house!?

They use many cameras in all different rooms.  Hmm I recall another film by The Global Asylum, Paranormal Activity, used cameras in all rooms and every so often a scene would be of all the shots of what the placed cameras had shown at the time.

Another strange part was when the psychic, Janina Peslo, was casting a protection spell, paranormal activity started occurring and her blouse opened and her bra was gone and there they were, her BARE breasts.  They were so big they almost took up the whole screen (sarcasm).  I always wondered what really happened to her.

Funny fact: they did not actually go to Gacy's house to "investigate".  They also say that it is real footage all of the time... when it truly is not.  Although it was fake, still it was a mostly well done paranormal movie.

A great reason why I love this movie is because NO ONE MAKES IT!  Well, one girl was never found, but most are DEAD!  It is great.   I love movies like this.  Mike dies from hypothermia and all the others die from asphyxiation or cardiac - pulmonary sarcoidosis.

One last note.  The clown thing at the end was stupid.

2 comments:

  1. If you love the shaky cam then you should check out:

    Dr. Strangelove
    The Blair Witch Project(handheld)
    Bourne Supremacy
    Cloverfield(handheld)
    The Hurt Locker
    The Last Exorcism(handheld)
    Quarantine
    REC
    District 9
    and many more

    ReplyDelete